Friday, August 27, 2010

Socially Acceptable..?

I think not. As a pregnant person (for the 2nd time) I am still failing to see how it is socially acceptable to make rude comments about my (or any pregnant person's) weight. It is not acceptable for me to say to the guy (or gal) down the street "my, it looks like you have put on about 20 lbs" but yet it is (people think) acceptable to make comments on a pregnant person's weight gain. Every pregnant person is WELL aware of how much weight she has gained. She sees it every time she looks in the mirror and prays she doesn't see stretch marks (or more stretch marks), every time she steps on the scale and it says "error, only 1 person at a time," looks down and realizes her feet have disappeared, puts on a shirt that is probably a size or two (or more) bigger, puts a pair of stretchy waisted, incapable of staying up maternity pants on, puts underwear on and it's gotten so tight it's like an insta-thong, puts a bra on that fit before but all of a sudden you can't connect it and it looks like you might lose a boob (or two) when you get finally do get it connected etc. We don't need comments about how much longer we have to go (believe me, we know) or comparing me to every other pregnant person you know-unless if it's in a positive way. News flash: everybody is different. Every pregnant person is different. It makes a difference if you are taller or shorter, larger or smaller, you exercise or not, you eat healthy or not; as to how much weight you will gain and were it will disperse. Also, as a side note, just because I am having twins does not mean it is even MORE acceptable for you to poke fun of me. Guess what folks, I am growing TWO babies. Not one. No you cannot tell me I look just as pregnant as the person who is 12 weeks further (with one baby) than I am. No you cannot comment on how much larger I have gotten in precisely 2 weeks. No you cannot say how far away December is and my how much bigger I am going to get STILL..guess what..it's really not that far away and I know that I am going to get bigger, thanks. No you cannot inform me of the fact that twins are going to be A LOT of work (when you haven't had them yourself), believe me, I have already had one..I think I am aware that they will be a lot of work. It is also not polite to have known one person, in the world, to have delivered 9lb (each) twins and crack jokes that that's how big my babies are going to be. Also unacceptable, informing me that it is completely likely that since I have fraternal twins I could be delivering on two completely different days. Thanks. I knew that too but I'm pretty certain it isn't going to happen..unless if I deliver one a couple minutes before midnight and the other a couple minutes after.

Just go ahead and suck it up and tell the next pregnant woman you see that she is beautiful. She is growing life, folks, and that in and of itself should be (and is) way more beautiful than the fact that she may have gained 20 pounds or 60, gotten stretch marks or not. In the end she has delivered into the world one more person (or two or three or even more) that will make a difference. Then if you must, once that pregnant lady is out of sight, then and only then, can you run and tell Mary down the street or call up your best friend Jane and tell them how huge so and so is.

DISCLAIMER: with all this being said I do not mind, at all, nice comments about how I am growing, that I look great, or that I may have popped out since you saw me last. Every pregnant person should be told that. I'm just saying the WAY you say things and the tone you use has a lot to do with how I (or any other pregnant person) is going to perceive your comment.
If you want to touch my belly and I know you that is also totally fine. If you are the random lady(or man) at the grocery store, once again, unacceptable to touch my belly. But that's a whole different post...and may or may not actually be posted.

1 comment: