Monday, August 17, 2009

Adventures Of A Cow

Who is a cow you ask? Why me, I am a cow. Didn't you know? I am probably between 1/4 and 1/2 cow. Let me tell you why.
-I am white with brown/black spots (moles), like MOST cows
-I have 2 of the 4 udders that cows have. Do they have udders or is that just the name of the whole thing that hangs down there?? Or are they nipples?? Hmm...I'll have to ask a farmer. Maybe next time I go to the Critter Barn they can tell me.
-I have hair
-I can say Moo...although I have found that when you do that in public people look at you weird. So, needless to say, I try to refrain from doing that
-Sometimes I think I live in a barn. Shoot, sometimes it even smells like I live in a barn
-I produce milk
-I get milked 5 times a day. 4 from Adelyn and once, on one side, from Mr. Milker
That's about where the similarities end. There could be 1 or 2 more but we'll leave those out.

Why this post you ask??

Wwweeelllll.....

In the morning Adelyn only nurses on one side so naturally I pump the other. I get 6-8 ounces every morning. Since I am quite anti-bottle Adelyn doesn't use much of my stock pile. I came to the realization that I will definitely not be using all of it. So when I noticed a post one day, on one of the other blogs I read, that you can donate to the Milk Bank (kinda weird, mostly cool) I started looking into it. I found out that there is a Milk Bank in Kalamazoo and I looked at their website. I was reading along and discovered that they were non-profit (I wasn't going to give my liquid gold to them so they could sell it to the highest bidder), they used the milk for babies in the NICU and for mothers who don't produce enough. I thought it all sounded good and then I read that they need a commitment of 100 ounces. I kinda gulped at that..it does sound like a lot. So I went outside to our freezer and started counting (for the record: all the bags out there are 8 ounce bags, so I figured I needed about 13 to make 100 ounces). 1,2...13,14...20,21...and that was just the first row of the ones I could see. Ok so I definitely have more than enough to spare for the milk bank. I called them up, did a little phone interview and they sent me my stuff.
Now fast forward to today.
I went to the hospital to get my blood drawn. For some funny reason they have to make sure I am not chock full of HIV and Syphilis. Then I had to take my blood, in tubes of course, in a box to get mailed to them. I thought that the UPS store on Waverly and Chicago Drive was still open. I was wrong. I then had to drive all the way over to Butternut and James. With a baby who needed a nap. I didn't want to miss this baby's nap, in her own bed. So I wasn't to thrilled to have to gallivant over to the North side.

That is the adventures of a Cow.



The inside freezer. This is about 100 ounces so now just imagine how much is really in the outside freezer.


The outside freezer. Like I said, I am part cow.


No comments:

Post a Comment